Saturday, March 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Today's post is going to be cut a bit shorter than originally intended on account of my phone taking way longer than anticipated to upload pictures from Canada.

So, in lieu of that, I will say simply Happy Losar! March 2nd this year marks the beginning of the Tibetan New Year, which is called Losar (I believe it's the same in Bhutan... but don't quote me on that). If I understood my students correctly that one day in conversation class, Losar is traditionally celebrated by receiving new clothing, playing games, and eating lots of brightly colored noodles. I don't know about you, but I say that sounds like at least as much fun as the American equivalent of  getting drunk, watching a big shiny ball drop on TV, and kissing someone you may or may not actually even know.

I wish I could be in India right now to celebrate with my students and friends. Lately I've also been feeling like I really wish I could have been there for Holi, the Hindu spring festival where people throw colored dye at each other all day long (apparently). Go ahead, click on that link and tell me that doesn't look like an absolute blast. Maybe next spring, if I'm not off teaching somewhere already, I'll head back over there to check it out.

In related news, the job search continues. I've had a couple of interviews but so far nothing has gone past that. My top pick for the moment is Japan; solid pay and a first-world culture I've always found interesting makes it an enticing destination. I've got a friend who's currently teaching in China and trying to convince me to head that way. China isn't exactly near the top of my list of places I'd like to visit simply based on the fact that I tend to be a little outspoken on issues of human (and animal) rights and welfare, gender equality, and other such stuff, and China isn't exactly known for championing any of those. It's also the biggest reason I can't see myself teaching in the Middle East, even though they tend to pay better than anywhere else in the world. They can afford to, after all... they've got all that oil money. As a woman, though? Nah, not going to fly with me. I'd be deported before the first week ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment