Monday, February 24, 2014

And of course on the last day, I get sick

It stopped snowing last night long enough for us all to go out for dinner. We went to a Greek place down by the beach; it was pretty quiet, no doubt because there were six inches of snow on the ground and apparently that's more than this area usually gets in a couple of years.

Dinner conversation was fun: apparently there are parts of Canada that are so desperate for workers that even the local McDonaldses will pay $25/hr just to get people in, sometimes also offering signing bonuses. Now, I have no desire whatsoever to step foot anywhere near those golden arches for any reason, even if they're paying me, but it got me thinking. Maybe I can get a job up here somewhere after all. I had an interview with a school in Japan last week that I think went pretty well, but it sounded like I won't hear back for a little while longer. I've wanted to see Canada for a long time. I've said for years that it seems like the kind of place I could enjoy living. After visiting for the last couple of weeks, I think I might be on to something. I think I'll have to look at what's available and what's involved in getting a work visa....

After dinner we came back and lounged around for a while before bed. Brij and I watched some Seinfeld; I can't remember when the last time I actually sat down and did that was, but it has to have been at least a good 5 or 6 years ago. I developed a tummy ache and drank some tea so hopefully I'd be comfortable enough to sleep.

Everything was fine until about 5am, at which point I woke up suddenly and decided I'd better head for the bathroom. My belly was all gurgly and weird-feeling, and I remembered feeling like that sometime in the not-too-distant past, but I couldn't think of when it would have been.

After making it to the bathroom and relaxing  and doing my thing, it suddenly hit me... India. India's where I'd felt all that tummy rumbling. Ugh. That's one thing I don't miss.

I decided to lie down on the couch in the living room so I'd be close to the toilet should I need it again and looked outside. The snow was piled up on the patio, on the tree branches, but none was falling from the sky. In fact, the clouds and fog had cleared up so much that I could clearly see not just the ocean but the lights across the bay. It was beautiful. I sat myself down on the couch with a glass of hot water and admired the view until I felt like I could fall asleep again.

That's where we are now... I'm still on the couch; the stomach pains come and go. What a way to spend my last day in Canada, eh? We were hoping to take a trip up to Whistler because apparently the view is incredible, but with big fat snowflakes falling out of the sky once more and everything blanketed in fog -- not to mention the roads being covered in snow -- it doesn't seem worth the trip. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment