Friday, February 21, 2014

Forty-Six and Sunny

My first few days in Canada were warm compared to the winter back in Illinois, but they were still windy enough that it was too chilly to really hang out outside. Wednesday the wind had died down, so Brij wanted to make the most of it by showing me around Vancouver.

Our first stop was Stanley Park.

We saw some baby geese.

And whatever this cool-looking bird is.

The city of Vancouver as seen from Stanley Park.

I got a coffee from this place. We also picked up some touristy maps.

We checked out the totem poles.
So.. cyclists can weigh as much as they want?
Brij holding the Lions Gate Bridge.
Another angle of the aforementioned bridge.

We wandered around and scoped out the scenery for a while. We were both hurting from snowboarding, though, so we drove more than we walked. Oh well, at least we were in the sun and fresh air.

After the park we headed out to see Granville Island, a touristy area full of artisan shops. Now, normally I'm not all that interested in this sort of thing (the quaint small-town Main Street vibe doesn't tend to do it for me), but there was something about this place that I really enjoyed. I've found that the general demeanor of the west coast is totally different from other places I've been. Seattle seemed more chill than home, and Canada is even more so. All the people are nice, everyone seems relatively happy. To my delight, I've heard a fair amount of "eh"s and "aboats" and such.

Anyway, back to Granville Island.

Not long after leaving Stanley Park, we found that both of our phones were dead (and our GPS along with them). Being resourceful, we grabbed the coffee shop maps from the back seat and managed to navigate most of the way to Granville Island before deciding we needed to find food and a place recharge our phones. We wound up stopping at a pizza place where the guy behind the counter told us he'd toss our pizza back into the oven for $3; maybe we were hungry or maybe he really did just have a damned good poker face, but either way he got us good.

The pizza was so-so, but the staff was good company.
We spent the rest of the afternoon on Granville Island before meeting one of Brij's buddies for "a real lunch."

It appears the slide is closed for the season. Bummer. :(

I got endless amusement out of the fact that there's a place called False Creek. So what is it, really?

Compost bins abound in Vancouver.

Seagulls do whatever they damn well please, thankyouverymuch.

Sign up sheet for live performers in the Granville Market. I'm not sure why I can't get it to rotate... sorry. :/

This dude must be a regular here. He was covered in pigeons. I mean COVERED.

I figured why not? Plus, look at the cute kiddo!

Those vicious beasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment