Friday, February 21, 2014

Legend of the White Rock

Four days after the snowboarding adventure and I'd say I'm back to about 95%. My neck is still a bit stiff, but for the most part I can go about my day and not be distracted by it. This pleases me.

We've been making an effort to soak up as much of the sunshine as possible, especially since this region is known for its clouds and rain. It's still a little cool -- 40s, mostly -- but compared to 30 below it's practically flipflop weather. Yesterday Brij took me down to one of the local scenic spots, White Rock Beach. I had been wanting some ice cream, so we found a shop, grabbed some, and talked to the old guys sitting out in front for a few minutes. Canadians are so fucking nice, eh (5:20).



For which the town and beach are named.

Walking down to the end of the pier.
According to the plaque near the big rock, scientists say it was brought down by a glacier. According to one of the local First Nation (I'm told that's what the people native to the area prefer to be called -- Native Americans, natives, Indians, etc are considered insulting) tribal stories, it was thrown out of the sea by a god who had fallen in love with a human princess; wherever the rock landed, their people would settle. That's how the local First Nation got started, apparently. The rock itself is periodically spraypainted white because early in the 20th century it suffered bouts of graffiti; the plaque states that the last straw was when some hooligans painted it black and put a big white skull and crossbones on it. Personally, I think that's pretty awesome.

White is cool too though, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment